Java is a programming language and computing platform first released by Sun Micro-systems in 1995. There are lots of applications and websites that will not work unless you have Java installed, and more are created every day. Java is fast, secure, and reliable. From laptops to data centres, game consoles to scientific supercomputers, cell phones to the Internet, Java is everywhere! Java is free to download.
The Java Virtual Machine is only one aspect of Java software that is involved in web interaction. The Java Virtual Machine is built right into your Java software download, and helps run Java applications. Java programs are platform independent. Java technology applications are written in the Java programming language and compiled to Java byte-code. Byte-code is executed on Java platform. The software that provides you with a runnable Java platform is called Java Runtime Environment(JRE). A compiler included in the Java SE Development(JDK), is used to convert Java source code to Java byte-code.
The advantages of Java are as follows:
- Java is easy to learn.Java was designed to be easy to use and is therefore easy to write, compile, debug, and learn than other programming languages.
- Java is object-oriented.This allows you to create modular programs and reusable code.
- Java is platform-independent.One of the most significant advantages of Java is its ability to move easily from one computer system to another. The ability to run the same program on many different systems is crucial to World Wide Web software, and Java succeeds at this by being platform-independent at both the source and binary levels.
- Java is distributed.Java is designed to make distributed computing easy with the networking capability that is inherently integrated into it. Writing network programs in Java is like sending and receiving data to and from a file.
- Java is secure.Java considers security as part of its design. The Java language, compiler, interpreter, and runtime environment were each developed with security in mind.
- Java is robust.Robust means reliability. Java puts a lot of emphasis on early checking for possible errors, as Java compilers are able to detect many problems that would first show up during execution time in other languages.
- Java is multi threaded. Multi threaded is the capability for a program to perform several tasks simultaneously within a program. In Java, multi threaded programming has been smoothly integrated into it, while in other languages, operating system-specific procedures have to be called in order to enable multi threading.
Because of Java’s robustness, ease of use, cross-platform capabilities and security features, it has become a language of choice for providing worldwide Internet solution.